15 Fantastic Fiber Fixes
Did you know your kids should be eating 20-30 grams of fiber a day? Luckily, we’ve made it easy with our 15 fantastic fixes to pack more fiber into your kid’s meals and snacks.
Give your kids some of these fiber-rich foods:
- 1 medium unpeeled pear = approx. 5g fiber
- 1/2 cup cooked beans = approx. 10g fiber, depending on type of bean
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin (about 4g fiber)
- 1 CLIF Kid Zbar (3g fiber)
- 1 CLIF Kid Zfruit + Veggie Rope (3g fiber)
Are your kids stuck in the “white zone” – white pasta, white bread, etc.? Then they’re missing out on important fiber benefits. Try to make at least 50% of your grains whole grains each day. And try foods rich in natural fibers, such as oats, and added fibers, such as inulin, to increase fiber in your diet:
- If your kids are reluctant to eat non-white pasta, mix some in with whole grain pastas.
- Swap all-purpose flour for whole white wheat flour in your pantry.
- Swap chips for popcorn (yes, it’s a whole grain!). One ounce of popcorn has 4 grams of fiber (skip the butter and salt and explore some new flavor ideas).
- Change up your meals with high-fiber sides, such as quinoa, barley or lentils.
- Check the label for fiber-rich ingredients such as whole grain oats, corn, pea fiber, and inulin.
Serve up extra fruits and vegetables at meals and snacks:
- Serve fruits like pears and apples with the peel on to get full fiber benefits.
- Blend up fruit and veggie smoothies as a great alternative to juice for added fiber.
- Boost “kid-friendly” foods with fiber: veggies on pizza, pasta with beans and broccoli, and sandwiches with avocado and tomato.
- Add diced green veggies to your pasta sauce.
- Clif KID Zfruit + Veggie Ropes are an easy, delicious way for kids to get fruits, veggies, and fiber.
Keep your kids well-hydrated with water, their bodies need it to work with the fiber. And remember to make meal time and trying new foods fun for your kids.
Organic for Good
We believe in creating a healthier, more just and sustainable food system. For us that starts wit...
Catching Up with Scott Jurek
The vegan ultrarunning great talks running, nutrition and what’s next
CLIFCAST: 2016 Boston Marathon Course Preview
Clif Pace Team leaders Darris and Star Blackford share insights and advice