7 Ways to Get Family Time Outside
Families are busy—we totally get it! After-school hours, evenings, and weekends fill up in seconds with homework, extracurricular activities, birthday parties, playdates and more. So we rounded up some easy ways to carve out time on your crowded calendar for outdoor family fun.
- Start a collection. Whenever you’re outside, be on the lookout for new leaves, rocks, twigs, or even photos to add to your family collection and display.
- Everyone has to eat—so take your meals outside. Grab your cereal bowl and sit in your back yard, or pack up a picnic and hit a park.
- Take events outdoors: bring those birthday parties and playdates outside. When kids ask for a playdate, make it “let’s meet at a park” or “let’s all go mountain biking together.”
- Switch family game or movie night to family bike ride. And start a new outdoor family tradition – how about a monthly family campout in the backyard?
- Track and identify birds in your own backyard – what do they look like, what are their bird calls?
- Visit every park in your town, or every state park within a certain radius. Check the calendar of events at your parks and schedule activities for the whole family.
- Leave the car at home and plan bike trips to get your family from point A to point B.
Break out of your normal routine and make time to get out and get a breath of fresh air, together.
Catherine Holecko, About.com’s Guide to Family Fitness, is a writer specializing in health and parenting and the mother of two fun and active children.
The Facts on Fiber
Filling up on fiber might sound like something your grandma used to do, but no matter how old you...
Fitness Fun at Clif HQ
We try not to sweat the small stuff, but we do like to sweat. Arrive early at Clif Bar & Comp...
Whole Grains for Healthy Kids
Learn how to embrace whole grains over refined grains.