Adventurize Your Family Vacation
Biking, kayaking, hiking, white water rafting! Turn your next family vacation into a family adventure. Experiencing any new place is exciting, but you can plan a family trip that includes a lot more doing and a lot less time sitting in the car. What you need is a place where your whole family can be active, try new things, and spend time together in the great outdoors.
DIY Family Camping Adventure
Take charge and plan your own to truly tailor the trip to your family’s schedule, interests, and budget. Camping is inexpensive and can offer beautiful sightseeing along with hiking, biking, backpacking, paddling, or even horseback riding, depending on the campground or park you choose. Here are some of our favorite active family destinations in the US:
- Zion and Bryce Canyons, Utah - take in the spectacular slot canyons and hoodoos by foot or bike
- Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee – enjoy the beautiful wildflowers and waterfalls as you hike and bike
- San Juan Islands, Washington – explore the islands by foot, bike, and kayak
- The Florida Keys – take to the waters in a canoe and check out the unique wildlife of the area
- With 59 National Parks and hundreds of state and regional parks to explore, you’re sure find a few that matches your family’s needs.
Join a Family Adventure Trip
Join a tour by an active travel company that puts everything together for you: accommodations, excursions, meals, and gear. Signing on with a tour is a great option for you to enjoy the adventure without worrying about the logistics. You can choose from all kinds of locations and activities, from white water rafting to bicycling, or even venturing out to a foreign country.
Most tour outfits have family-friendly options so they really know kids. Here are some good questions to ask:
- Which trips are most appropriate for the ages of your kids?
- Will the tour provide kid-sized equipment?
- Will there be other kids on the trip?
- How is the menu? Does it include foods your kids will eat?
Try Family Camp
For another active and fun vacation, try family camp. These offer the classic summer camp experience for the whole family: canoeing, hiking, archery, swimming, and campfires, with accommodations in tents or cabins. Check out the summer camps in your area that cater to families.
Happy trails and enjoy your family adventure!
Catherine Holecko, About.com’s Guide to Family Fitness, is a writer specializing in health and parenting and the mother of two fun and active children.
CLIF Bar: Into the Mind of Greg Long
Travel deep into the mind of big wave surfer and CLIF Bar athlete Greg Long
How to Volunteer ... with Kids!
Try one of these activities as a family
Nutrition for Total Body Fitness and Your Next Spartan Event
When I am training a lot, I’m not only focused on what I eat immediately after a workout – th...