Our Sustainability Journey
We’re working to reduce our ecological footprint in everything we do – from the field to the final products. This means that, in our day-to-day work, we’re thinking about more organics, less packaging, more planet-friendly transportation, less landfill and partners that keep us on our toes.
Check out our progress-to-date along our sustainability journey…
- Clif Bar’s 115,000 square foot headquarters is the first building in Emeryville, CA to achieve LEED Platinum certification.
- Our smart solar array was the first installed in North America over 500 kWh and provides us the majority of our electricity. Our solar panels provide us with 70% of our hot water.
- Nearly 250 million pounds of organic ingredients have been purchased to date.
- Clif Bar & Company Collaborates with Rainforest Alliance for Cocoa Certification in CLIF Bars, our flagship product. 100% of cocoa ingredients for CLIF will be Rainforest Alliance certified.
- Clif Bar is invited to Washington D.C. to address a national USDA conference about how to drive change toward a more sustainable 21st century agricultural system.
- Clif Bar gets new green headquarters! The building is repurposed, and 100% of all construction wood was reclaimed (from old railroad ties, barns, etc.) or harvested from sustainably managed forests.
- In our new green HQ, we open Kali’s Kitchen, an on-site café for employees, which works with regional farmers to source organic ingredients.
- Clif Bar recognized as Climate Counts Industry Innovator.
- Clif Bar & Company joins BICEP (Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy) to advocate for strong climate legislation.
- Clif Bar Family Foundation launches SEED MATTERS program with $500,000 commitment to protecting and developing organic seeds.
- Partnering with NativeEnergy, Clif Bar supports the Greensburg wind farm (in the Kansas town rebuilding green after ’07 tornado).
- Free bikes! Cool Commute program upgraded. All employees can receive up to $500 to buy a bicycle if needed for their commute.
- Clif Bar begins tracking and offsetting carbon footprint of shipping products to customers.
- Clif Bar & Company launches the COOL HOME PROGRAM, providing employees with up to $1000 annually to make eco-improvements to their homes.
- Clif SHOT BLOKS packaging redesigned to save 25,000 lbs of packaging a year.
- Clif Bar brings office energy and water use down by 10% by hosting a company-wide eco-challenge.
- All field marketing fleet switch to biodiesel.
- Clif Bar & Company offsets its historical carbon footprint from 1992 to 2002 providing the hurdle funding needed to build six farmer-owned wind turbines in the Midwest.
- Cool Commute Program, the country's first employee biodiesel and hybrid incentive program. Employees are also rewarded for walking, biking, carpooling and taking public transportation.
- All company vehicles begin filling up with local, recycled biodiesel.
- Escape from Alcatraz becomes the first ever climate neutral triathlon in partnership with Clif Bar.
- NATURAL ENERGY TOUR is launched – becoming the nationʼs first climate neutral biodiesel mobile marketing tour.
- CLIF BAR goes organic USDA Certified!
- Partnership with American Forests launched to plant trees to offset employee commutes. 5000 trees planted each year.
- Company switches to 100% recycled paperboard, generating an environmental savings upstream of 14,000 trees and 6 million gallons of water in one year!
- Company becomes CLIMATE NEUTRAL by offsetting the carbon footprint of our office, business travel, bakeries and delivery to our distribution center by investing in wind energy
- Caddies redesigned to be shrink wrap free avoiding the use of 90,000 pounds of plastic.
- CB&C hires a full-time ecologist and develops an in-house Sustainability Program which launches on Earth Day and a commitment to the planet is made.