Skip to main content.

CLIF Blog

Oct. 25, 2009
The Greensburg, Kansas—“Coolest” Town in America?
Elysa, our director of environmental stewardship, shares exciting news about the soon-to-be coolest town in America.

Since 2003, we’ve partnered with NativeEnergy to help build new farmer- and community-owned wind turbines as a way of taking responsibility for our contribution to global warming. We value this opportunity to do something good for both the planet and the communities where these wind turbines are based. This year we are working with them on an exciting new project that brings together a community deeply committed to [re]building green.

On May 4, 2007 Greensburg, Kansas was leveled by an EF5 tornado. Estimated to be 1.7 miles in width, the tornado took the lives of 11 people and destroyed 95 percent of the town’s buildings. The remaining 5 percent of buildings were left severely damaged. In the wake of this devastation, the citizens of Greensburg not only committed to rebuilding their town, but to do so as the greenest town in America.


Greensburg, Kansas in the aftermath of the tornado (Courtesy of John Deere)


To help the town reach its 100 percent green energy goal, Clif Bar & Company is directing all of our 2009 carbon offset purchases to help provide part of the hurdle funding for the town’s new wind farm. NativeEnergy was selected as the carbon offset provider for the Greensburg wind farm. The farm’s ten 1.25 MW wind turbines will produce enough electricity to power 4,000 homes—more than enough energy to power every home, business and government building in the town. The town will also be able to sell excess energy back to the local utility.


Wind turbine construction (Courtesy of John Deere)


We are honored that NativeEnergy invited us to join as Charter Supporters of the Greensburg wind farm, along with our friends at Clean Air-Cool Planet, Ben & Jerry’s, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Stonyfield Farm, Brighter Planet, Aveda and Reverb. Joining forces to support the Greensburg wind farm is another testimony to the simple truth stated by Helen Keller. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
Posted by:
Guest Starring
Category:
Sustainability
Comments

More Topics

Blog Contributors


RSS Feeds:
RSS
RSS Comments
Atom
Podcasts Feeds:
podnova
odeo
newsgator
My Yahoo
iTunes

About this Blog

We like getting our heart rates up, taking a big breath of fresh air, savoring delicious food. But we also love telling stories and here's where we type 'em up. (BTW, it works both ways; leave a comment—please and thank you.)

Blog Leaf