Food: Our Favorite Subject
It’s true: we love talking about our food. And we love to get questions from the people who eat it. Here are some of our favorites. If there’s something you want to know and it’s not covered here, just ask. We’ll do our best to get you an answer.
|What does CLIF Kid® make?|
CLIF Kid makes nutritious snacks that are specially made for kids’ growing bodies, developing taste buds and active lives. The USDA-certified organic snack line includes:
• CLIF Kid Zbar™ is an organic, soft-baked whole grain energy snack bar for kids that offers 8-11g whole grains. It is made with a nutritious blend of carbohydrates, fiber, protein and fat to maintain kids’ energy. Zbar is also made with the 12 vitamins and minerals that are important for kids.
• CLIF Kid Zbar Crispy™ is an organic crispy rice snack for kids with a light, crunchy texture. Made with 8g whole grains and a sprinkling of toasted oats, Zbar Crispy is USDA-certified organic and contains more iron, calcium, zinc and vitamin D than other family snack bars.
• CLIF Kid Zfruit™ is a tangy, chewy fruit snack that is equivalent to one serving of organic fruit and provides an excellent source of vitamin C. Zfruit offers a great-tasting fruit snack that doesn’t need to be washed, peeled, cored, seeded, cut or refrigerated before eating – making it easy for kids to eat organic fruit anytime, anywhere.
• All CLIF Kid products have none of the no-no’s: No artificial flavors, synthetic preservatives, high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. In addition, CLIF Kid products have 0g trans fats and source ingredients that are not genetically engineered.
|What is the nutritional profile of CLIF Kid snacks?|
• Each 1.27 oz (36g) Zbar has 110-130 calories with 8-11g whole grains, 2-3g protein and 2-3g fiber depending on the flavor. It is also USDA-certified organic and contains 12 vitamins and minerals that are important for kids.
• Each 1.0 oz (28g) Zbar Crispy has 100-110 calories with 8g whole grains, 1-2g protein and 1g fiber depending on the flavor. It is also USDA-certified organic and provides an excellent source of calcium and a good source of iron and zinc.
• Each 0.7 oz (20g) Zfruit has 70 calories and a ½ cup of fruit. It is also USDA-certified organic, an excellent source of Vitamin C and gluten free.
|How is CLIF Kid different from other kids’ snacks?|
CLIF Kid recipes and portions are specially-created based on the types of foods and nutrients kids need most, in flavors that encourage healthy snacking. They’re just the right size for kids – narrow enough for kids to take healthy bites! CLIF Kid is also made with organic ingredients, such as natural fruit juices and whole oats to make wholesome, great-tasting snacks, with lower levels of fat and sugar than most of the kids’ snacks available today.
• Zbar offers a convenient and portable option that ensures kids get enough whole grains in their diet. Zbar features an optimal blend of carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals to help meet kids’ nutritional needs and keep them satisfied and nourished longer.
• Zbar Crispy offers a convenient and portable option that ensures kids get enough whole grains in their diet, along with more calcium, iron, zinc and vitamin D that are essential to kids’ growing bodies but are often lacking in their meals and snacks. It also features a balanced blend of carbohydrates, protein and fiber to help stabilize energy levels and keep them satisfied and nourished longer.
• Zfruit offers a convenient and portable option that ensures kids meet one of the 2-4 recommended servings of fruit they need daily
|What are whole grains and their benefits?|
Whole grains, such as oats, contain fiber, which when consumed as part of a healthy diet can reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and weight gain. The 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines recommend choosing the right carbohydrates, like whole grains.
• Each Zbar contains 8-11 grams of whole grains (depending on the flavor) and 2-3 grams of total fiber from oats, which is as many whole grains as ¼ cup brown rice or cooked barley and twice the fiber.
• Each CLIF Kid Zbar Crispy contains 8 grams of whole grains and 1 gram of total fiber from oats, which is as many whole grains as ¼ cup brown rice or cooked barley and twice the fiber.
|What is the sugar level in CLIF Kid snacks?|
CLIF Kid offers lower levels of fat and sugar than those found in many of the kids’ snack offerings available today.
• Zbar contains 10-12g of sugar per bar depending on the flavor, which is less than 35% of its total weight in sugar. When compared to other treats that appeal to kids, such as sweets and soda, Zbar contains less-processed sugars, lower total sugar, and no high fructose corn syrup.
• Zbar Crispy contains 7-9g of sugar per bar depending on the flavor, which is less than 35% of its total weight in sugar. When compared to other treats that appeal to kids, such as sweets and soda, Zbar Crispy contains less-processed sugars, lower total sugar and no high fructose corn syrup.
• Zfruit contains 15g of sugar per rope, which is the naturally occurring fruit sugar from fruit puree and juice ingredients. We do not add processed sugar to the fruit snack.
|What is the organic content of CLIF Kid snacks?|
CLIF Kid snacks are USDA-certified organic with 0g trans fat, no hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, no synthetic preservatives, and no artificial flavors.
|Why does CLIF Kid use organic ingredients?|
We want to nourish our kids with the best ingredients possible.
• We use organic ingredients in all of our food and are striving to use more organic ingredients every day.
• Organic farming and agriculture is good for people and the planet.
o By using organically grown ingredients, we help keep harmful pesticides and synthetic fertilizers out of the environment and our bodies.
o Organic produces less pollution and helps create nutrient-rich soil and increases biodiversity.
o Organic foods and a healthy choice to sustain people and the planet for future generations.
|Do CLIF Kid snacks contain GMOs or bioengineered ingredients?|
Clif Bar & Company is committed to sourcing ingredients that are not genetically engineered in all of our products. We have stringent protocols for GMOs which includes requiring affidavits from ingredient suppliers demonstrating they can meet our non GMO requirements.
|Are CLIF Kid snacks kosher?|
Yes, all CLIF Kid snacks are certified Kosher.
|Do CLIF Kid snacks contain any common food allergens such as dairy, nuts, wheat, etc?|
To address all of your allergen-related questions, please view our complete Allergen Reference Table on clifbar.com
|Do CLIF Kid snacks contain gluten?|
• CLIF Kid Zfruit is a gluten-free food item. All flavors do not contain gluten.
• CLIF Kid Zbar is not a gluten-free food item. All flavors may contain gluten.
• CLIF Kid Zbar Crispy is not a gluten-free food item. All flavors may contain gluten.