Linsey Corbin's Stuffed Peppers w/ Quinoa & Black Beans
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1 yellow onion - diced
2 celery stalks - diced
salt, pepper, cumin, hot sauce - to taste
2 cups spinach - chopped
1 large can (28oz) of diced tomatoes
1 can black beans - rinse & drain
2 cups of water
1.5 cups of shredded carrots
3/4 cup of quinoa
1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
4-6 bell peppers
1. Saute onion, garlic, celery and seasonings in pan for 10 minutes or so.
2. Add fresh (or frozen) spinach and saute until cooked down.
3. Meanwhile, strain diced tomatoes and save the liquid.
4. Add diced tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes or so.
5. Add black beans, quinoa, carrots and 2 cups of water.
6. Cover with lid and let cook about 20 minutes or until the quinoa is soft.
7. While you wait: Turn oven to 350. Then, cut in half and remove seeds from peppers.
9. Add cheese to mixture and stir well.
10. Fill a pyrex with reserved tomato juice.
11. Stuff peppers with filling and lay in pan. Cover with foil.
12. Bake for 1 hour. Go lift weights, walk the dog, or clean the house.
13. Remove foil, sprinkle with a bit of cheese and bake another 10 minutes or so.
Linsey uses the extra filling as snack food. She says, "It goes great on its own or stuffed in a tortilla after a workout."
- Posted by:
- Le Sensation American