Intro - Employment Page
Clif Bar was born on a bike in a moment our founder, Gary Erickson, now calls ‘the epiphany.’ Today, Gary and his wife, Kit Crawford, continue to lead Clif Bar’s innovative business model. Guided by Five Aspirations, Clif Bar is a family and employee-owned company that loves food.
We believe that happy, healthy people create the best food. Because of that, we strive to:
• Create a company culture that inspires and supports our people - both in and outside work.
• Sustain our people with competitive pay and benefits, holistic wellness offerings, and other innovative benefits.
• Hire the right people for the right positions and support them to grow in their current and future roles.
Come make a difference. Join the Clif Bar Team!
Clif Bar & Company is looking for a DIRECTOR OF BRAND MARKETING, CLIF KID PORTFOLIO.
The ideal candidate will have an immediate connection to our Five Aspirations, as well as embody the “Clif Bar Ingredients” (Create, Inspire, Connect, Own It, and Be Yourself).
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The Director of Brand Marketing is accountable for leading a portfolio of brands, including zBar, ZBar Crispy, zFruit, and kid’s innovation. This includes leading the process to develop the five-year strategic and annual operating plans, management and delivery of the portfolio P&L, development of the equities through product, packaging, positioning, and consumer programs that align with Clif Bar & Company’s mission and core values. Additionally, the incumbent leads the brand team and collaborates across the organization to drive execution of the plan, including Sales, Supply Chain, R&D, Finance, Public Relations, Creative, Experience and Field Marketing.
• Develop the five-year strategic brand plan, identifying key strategies to enhance brand equity and bring the brand positioning to life. The plan should improve product quality, brand awareness, relevancy to the consumer target, identification of new targets and/or new product platforms.
• Lead the annual operating plan process with cross-functional partners (R&D, Sales, Operations, Finance, Creative, etc.) to develop the portfolio/brand plan and budget. Annual operating plan includes strategies and tactics across the P&L, sales targets, trade spending, COGS goals, and SG&A investment.
• Lead Brand and cross-functional teams in the execution of the annual operating plan, ensuring seamless integration across the organization
• Develop innovation strategy and lead new product development. Partner with CQI department and cross-functional team to create pipeline of flavor extensions, new formats, and other healthy snacking options for kids.
• Monitor business activity (brand performance, consumer insights & trends, sales volume, competitive activity, budget, etc.) and make ongoing recommendations and adjustments to tactical plan to deliver annual goals.
• Provide leadership to cross-functional team on operational issues including production capacity, inventory management, ingredient sourcing, and regulatory requirements.
• Develop brand equities through “WOW” food and memorable experiences. Leverage deep consumer understanding and brand positioning to optimize current products, develop new products, packaging, and consumer programs, including defining the role of public relations and trade promotion.
• Develop Brand Team members via mentoring, coaching, training and ongoing feedback to develop the next leaders in the Brand organization.
• Partner with creative department to develop all assets that bring brand positioning to life: packaging, interactive, social media, collateral, POS, and other visual materials.
Position-Specific Skills Required
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all candidate communications and interactions.
• Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients.
• Develop business plans that will strengthen brand position in each consumer segment and market, to identify risks and take advantage of opportunities in new markets. This requires both broad and deep understanding of target consumers and development of product and visual concepts that will attract and convert them to our products.
• Provide effective leadership to multiple cross-functional efforts coordinated by the brand marketing staff, ensuring that multi-functional issues, priorities and requirements are considered and integrated into overall project plans so that commitments are met.
• Create vision in an emerging, dynamic and fast-paced category that positions the brands for continued market leadership identifying risks and opportunities as the category grows and new users enter.
• Possess strong P&L management skills, which are critical to navigating the complexities of changing input costs, a complex supply chain, and increased competition for shelf space.
• Possess and demonstrate excellent strategic capabilities, analytical and creative problem solving abilities and work organization.
Leadership Skills Required
• Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
• Provide inspiring leadership to both the brand team and multiple cross-functional team members, and pull the teams together to manage priorities and deliver on goals.
• Strong verbal and written communication, conflict resolution and influence management skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to Clif Bar & Company values and its Five Aspirations and the Clif Bar Ingredients will be instrumental in achieving teamwork and success in this role.
• A degree in business with an emphasis in marketing required.
• Must have 8 – 10 years of packaged goods Brand Management experience.
• MBA, with marketing emphasis, is preferred.
• Proven experience in people management, project and department management are also required, including responsibility for developing business plans, market forecasts, and budget management.
Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!