16 Nutritious Snacks for Work
By Colleen Christensen, RDN, a registered dietitian nutritionist and consultant dietitian who works with Clif Bar & Company.
The ideas and suggestions written below are provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice or care. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider before beginning any physical fitness or health- and nutrition-related activity.
Let’s face it, it’s hard to get back into a routine or start a new one. Whether you’re back in an everyday work setting, working remotely, or doing a hybrid of the two, let’s shed some light on how to make snacking a positive, convenient, and delicious habit during your workday!
When it comes to deciding on what to snack on, it depends on how hungry you are. Checking in with your body and getting a sense of your hunger can not only help you identify what to snack on, but also prevent any potential “boredom eating.”
If you’re in the mood for something lighter, look for whole grains and/or fiber. When you’re needing something more substantial, aim to include two different macronutrients (fiber-filled carbohydrates, protein, or fat). This will help ensure that your snack has some “staying power” and you won’t be feeling hungry soon after — you’ve got work to get back to!
In a snacking rut or need some fresh, new ideas to shake up your routine? Here are 16 ideas for snacks that taste great and can help power you through your workday.
Anytime Snacks for Work
The snacks below are a great option for any time of day when you just need a quick little pick-me-up versus something more filling:
- CLIF® Thins. These crispy, crunchy, 100-calorie snack bars have 5g of sugar per pack and are made with organic oats — making them the perfect snack-time pick-me-up.
- LUNA® LemonZest® Minis. Refreshing and sweet, the Mini LUNA LemonZest bar is a creamy citrus dream of a perfect summer's day. With 4 grams of protein (8% DV) and organic rolled oats, this plant-based snack is the perfect boost for any time life gives you lemons.
- Carrots and hummus. This classic combo will never get old! The crispness of fresh carrots combined with the creaminess of hummus is a great way to get an energy boost and tons of nutrients!
- Popcorn. Popcorn is not only fun to eat, but it also provides whole grains and fiber, helping to keep you satisfied between meals. Try adding some flavor to your popcorn by adding some nutritional yeast (which gives it a cheesy flavor) or a dash of cinnamon for sweetness!
- Freeze-dried fruit and pretzels. Mix these two crunchy snacks together and make a big batch to keep in your desk drawer!
- Crunchy roasted chickpeas. Satisfy a crunchy, salty craving while giving your body some fiber and protein.
- Ants on a log. Fill the middle of celery sticks with your favorite nut or seed butter and top with raisins!
- Peanut butter energy ball. Ready in just five minutes and made with just three simple ingredients! Try rolling them in shredded coconut for an extra kick of flavor!
These snacks contain satiating nutrients that help satisfy more substantial hunger between meals:
- CLIF® Nut Butter Bar. A quick, easy snack that satisfies your hunger and your cravings. CLIF Nut Butter Bar has a delicious, nut butter filling that satisfies along with 5-7g (8-10% DV) of plant protein to help you power through your busy day.
- CLIF Thins and peanut butter. Spread some of your favorite nut or seed butter onto a CLIF Thins bar to take this crispy, crunchy snack to the next level for when you’re feeling hungrier!
- Popcorn trail mix. Take your popcorn up a notch by adding some trail mix to it! This will add protein and fat to your snack while also giving you a bit of chocolate to satisfy an afternoon sweet tooth!
- Chickpea cookie dough. You’ll look forward to snack time with this delicious, easy recipe that packs a protein and fiber punch to keep you feeling full and satisfied!
- Dried fruit and nuts. The fruit will provide you with quick energy and the nuts will provide the staying power by way of protein, fiber, and fat. Dried cherries and almonds make a great pair!
- Banana “sushi.” Take a whole-grain tortilla, top it with peanut butter and then place a whole banana inside. Roll it up and then cut into slices for a fun afternoon energy boost!
- Pretzels and hummus. Give your body a little more energy by pairing your hummus with whole-grain pretzels for extra staying power.
- Protein overnight oats. Try mixing a scoop of your favorite protein powder into overnight oats for a satisfaction boost!
Schedule time to snack and check in with your hunger cues to determine what type of snack you need. Having nutritious snacks on hand in the office, at your home workspace, or in your workbag will keep you prepared for whatever the workday throws at you!