Packaging with Purpose
Our Commitment to Sustainable Packaging
Clif Bar has fueled world-class competitors and everyday athletes for nearly 30 years. But that’s just part of our story. At Clif, we are committed to crafting foods with purpose, for people, and for the planet.
That means striving to be as thoughtful about our packaging as we are about our organic, plant-based ingredients.
Over the years we’ve eliminated, reduced and recycled. Now we’re making our boldest, most urgent commitment yet.
Clif Bar has proudly signed the Ellen MacArthur Foundation Global Commitment to help create a world where plastic never becomes waste or pollution.
That means, by 2025:
• 100% of our packaging will be reusable, recyclable, or compostable
We're focused on our consumer packaging & starting with the iconic CLIF BAR® wrapper, challenging ourselves to create a compostable wrapper
• 25% of the plastic used in our packaging will be made with renewable or recycled materials
We prefer using materials that can be replenished or giving what's already out there a second chance
• We’re going to cut out the plastic packaging we don’t need - with a goal of reducing virgin plastic use by 12%
We reduced the size of the CLIF BAR wrapper more than five years ago and are continuing that work by minimizing the footprint of our current wrappers
• Our packaging will drive awareness and education
We'll start by adding the How2Recycle label to give consistent and transparent recycling information on-package
We’re also tackling plastic pollution now with another ambitious 2025 goal:
• Removing 1 million pounds of plastic waste from the environment
That means working to prevent plastic waste and rolling up our sleeves to clean-up plastic pollution in our waterways and on public lands
Clif Bar/Eric Walle