Last Modified: June 1, 2018
Thank you for enjoying Clif Bar products and services! Clif Bar & Company (“Clif Bar”) understands how important privacy is to you as a user or purchaser of our products and services (“User”).
This Privacy Statement describes how we collect, use, and share personal data that we collect from our Users through our websites, including Clifbar.com (the “Sites”) and mobile applications (the “Apps”) that link to this Privacy Statement. Users include purchasers of products on clifbar.com; subscribers to our mailing lists; and any email, text or other electronic communications that we send to you (collectively, together with the Apps and Sites, our “Services”). This Privacy Statement does not apply to websites, applications, or services that are not operated by us or do not display or link to this Privacy Statement.
We collect and process personal data about you with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the products you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfill other legitimate interests.
Users in Non-US Jurisdictions: This website is designed for Users in the United States. We have separate websites localized for residents of the EEA with privacy notices that address local requirements, which you can access here. Clif Bar is headquartered in California and our collection, storage, and use of your information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. If you are located in the European Union, Canada, or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information you send us or that we collect will be processed in the United States.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT.
Information You Actively Provide to Clif Bar. Users provide some or all of the following categories of personal data, in order to register, access various content or features, submit content, directly contact us with questions or feedback, or access other features of our Services:
- Contact information, such as name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address
- Payment information such as credit or debit card numbers
- Username and password to register for a User account
- Country of residence information
- Communications preferences
- Personal interests and profile information
- Profile pictures
- Search queries
- Comments and other information posted through interactive online features
- Correspondence you send to us
- Information collected offline, such as if you contact Customer Service other than via the Services
Information You Provide in Public Areas on Clif Bar Sites. Users have the opportunity to browse, find, follow, tag, message, comment or otherwise participate in public areas of our Services. By choosing to participate in these public areas of our Sites, please be aware that any information submitted through these areas is not private and your information, including personal data, associated with Clif Bar or your other linked third-party accounts may be displayed to the public.
Please use caution in disclosing personal data in these public areas.
Information We Automatically Collect. When you use our Services, some information is automatically collected. For example, when you visit our Sites and use our Apps your computer's operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type and language, and the website you visited before our websites may be logged automatically. We also collect information about your usage and activity on our Services, like pages you visit and links you click.
- Use of an App: When you download and use an App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device identifiers. Our Apps may also request permission to access the camera, microphone, and geolocation data on your mobile device to enable the features you request to use and enable.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION.
We use personal data about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services and information
- Enable you to participate in interactive features on our Services
- Provide personalized content and information to you, which could include online ads or other forms of marketing based on our understanding of you and your preferences
- To administer your participation when you register for a Clif Bar produced or sponsored events or third-party sporting events, participate in a survey or poll, enter a contest or sweepstakes, or participate by other means through our Services
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer services
- Send you Service-related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages
- Provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our Services
- Develop and test new products, services, and features for our Services
- Monitor Service metrics, such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- Diagnose or fix technology problems
- Otherwise support the internal operations of the company and our Services
- Communicate with you about new contests, promotions, rewards, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our partners
- Protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or with your consent
3. DISCLOSURE AND SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION.
Clif Bar does not share personal data except as follows:
- Authorized third-party service providers. We use service providers to help us run our business and perform various functions related to the Services; service providers process your personal data only on our behalf and subject to confidentiality agreements.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with or during negotiation of a substantial business transaction, such as the sale, merger, financing, acquisition, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy, dissolution transaction, or other transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company.
- Legal purposes. We may disclose your information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims, debt collections, or government inquiries, and to protect and defend the rights, interests, property, safety, and security of Clif Bar, our Users, or the public.
4. THIRD PARTY SERVICES, CONTENT AND LINKS.
We may display or provide links and widgets to other sites and resources. These links and widgets are for your convenience only and are not under our control. Clif Bar is not responsible for those other sites and resources or their privacy practices. You should review these third-party sites for their policies and practices regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of your information as their policies may differ substantially from ours.
5. ACCESS, REMOVAL, AND OPTIONS FOR MARKETING AND CONTACT PREFERENCES.
Where applicable and practical, we will provide Users with opt-in and opt-out choices for subscribing or unsubscribing from our communications. You may (a) stop the receipt of a particular promotional email by clicking on an "unsubscribe" hyperlink contained in any promotional or notification emails we send you, or (b) send requests about your contact preferences or about opting out of certain further disclosures of your personal information to third parties or by contacting us at: Clif Bar and Company, 1451 66th Street, Emeryville, CA 94608-1004 or by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. It may take up to six (6) weeks to modify your preferences.
For our Apps, you may change your mobile device settings to control the permissions our Apps may have to access features and data on your device such as geolocation data, camera, and microphone.
8. PRIVACY STATEMENT MODIFICATIONS.
From time to time Clif Bar may modify or amend this Privacy Statement in order to comply with new laws or regulations or to reflect future changes in our business practices. If we make any changes to this Privacy Statement, we will change the "Last Modified" date above or provide such notice about or obtain consent to changes as may be required by applicable law.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to lodge a complaint regarding our Privacy Statement or otherwise about our privacy practices, please contact us at email@example.com.